Brownies are my default, emergency treat. They are so simple and always appreciated. I try to make sure that I keep a supply of unsweetened chocolate on hand at all times, just in case.
This makes a large batch. Why bother with less? They freeze well if for some reason you can’t eat them all at once.
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
½ cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, unbeaten
¼ tsp salt
1 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160 C (325 F).
- Butter & flour a 9” x 12” baking dish.
- Melt chocolate and butter over hot water in a double boiler (or just a sauce pan over another pan)
- Stir in sugar and let cool.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Mix flour & salt. Stir into chocolate mixture until completely blended. Add nuts if desired.
- Pour into prepared pan. Cook 30 – 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Leave in pan on rack to cool.